Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Labor

On January 11th, around 5:15pm, they started the oxytocin. It was about 15 minutes later when they broke my water. As soon as I was allowed, Steve and I went for a walk around the floor. I felt at peace with whatever was to come, the fear had melted away. Those moments with Steve, while we walked, I will never forget. I was in my socked feet, new socks that I bought just to wear to the hospital. We avoided little puddles on the floor from people's shoes, and I filled my water cup every time we walked by the water machine. Hospital water is extra tasty.
We walked by the Scott Smed room, where we stayed when Alexandra was born. We walked by it several times and we talked about the room and about Alexandra. I felt like she was there with me in those moments, waiting to meet her baby sister. I wondered if she would help, watch over the baby and keep us both safe. I wonder if that's possible...
When the contractions got too close together, I decided the walking was done and I wanted an epidural. When I was pregnant with Alexandra I planned to have a natural birth, but once we lost her I decided that I didn't need to torture myself any more than I already was, so I got the epi. It only worked for a little while with Alexandra, it allowed me physical comfort while I slept for several hours, and then my labor progressed too quickly for it, so I felt it all. This time I went in saying I would get it. I wanted to go through as little stress and pain as possible, for myself and the baby. She had already gone through her entire life so far in the belly of a basket case.
Once I got the epidural things started to happen. I was shocked when I felt like I had to push, I told the nurse and she said that was very possible. Once they checked me they realize I was right, I was ready to deliver my daughter. And once again, the epidural didn't have time to work, and I felt everything...everything by my legs, that is. I was terrified, I remember thinking...I don't actually think I'm ready, I wish I could stop this, I've changed my mind about the induction.
It was fast, I don't know how long I pushed for, but baby Victoria Rose was born at 8:53PM (less than 4 hours after they induced me). When I heard her cry I completely broke down. She was real, she was alive, and she was in my arms. My little girl, Dayne and Alexandra's little sister, Steve's youngest daughter...here she was, some kind of miracle. And right after she was born the doctor looked at me and said, "When I booked you to come in today, I did not think this was how it was going to go."
We were home less than 24 hours later, and our new life, with our new little family member began...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment